Vegetarian Chilli Con Carne
Everyone that has tried this recipe loves it! It's a low-calorie, vegetarian and delicious!
- 1 tablespoon ghee (just use water if you are vegan)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 small chillies chopped
- 500 g mixed mushrooms chopped e.g. portobello, shitake, etc, choose light-exposed mushrooms to increase Vitamin D
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 capsicum chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 tin organic chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin organic kidney beans drained and rinsed
- cauliflower rice to serve
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the spices.
- Fry for 1 minute then add the mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and fresh chillis and fry for another minute.
- Add the vegetables and fry for another minute
- Add the chopped tomatoes, additional vegetables, half a tin of water and the kidney beans. Season and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until thickened.
- Serve the chilli with cauliflower rice or brown rice
Place mushrooms in direct sunlight for 2 hours to increase vitamin D to 10mcg. Refer to this article: A Review of Mushrooms as a Potential Source of Dietary Vitamin D (if mushrooms have been exposed to ultra-violet light, the vitamin D will increase. See note above)