- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil for vegans
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 carrots roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery roughly chopped
- 1 capsicum cored and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried oregano
- 500 grams fresh asian mushrooms e.g. porcini, shitake, portabello
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast an excellent source of Vitamin B12 for vegetarians
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 red chilli
- 1 lb buckwheat or wholegrain pasta
- Soak cashews for 3-6 hours in 1 teaspoon salt. Cashews are susceptible to mould so don’t soak for longer than 6 hours. Strain and rinse
- Finely chop the onion, red pepper, garlic and carrot in food processor. In a large pot, warm the ghee over medium heat. Add the finely chopped vegetables, sprinkle with salt & pepper, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Use the food processor to finely chop the fresh mushrooms (not too fine, you want some texture here).
- Add tomato paste, herbs, chopped mushrooms. Cook for another 3 minutes. Add red wine. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, until liquid has reduced by half.
- Add cashews to blender. Add 1/4 cup water, lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast, and miso then blend on high until smooth. Transfer the cream to the pot and stir together until evenly distributed.
- Serve with Vegan Parmesan Cheese