Slow Cooker Chickpea Curry
I think this is my favourite slow cooker vegetarian meal! It's worth the extra preliminary step of sauteing the onions and garlic, then blending with coconut milk and spices. You will love this! A word of warning if you are watching your weight. This recipe packs close to 500 calories due to the coconut milk and chickpeas. If you want to reduce the calories, add more veggies and dilute the coconut milk.As you can see from the photo, I added broccoli florets also. I simply added them in the last two hours of cooking. So go ahead don't be afraid to add heaps of veggies!
- Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 can organic coconut milk (or dilute 1 tablespoon coconut butter if you are watching your weight)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon 5 spice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cardomnon
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 cups dried organic chickpeas, soaked overnight in apple cider vinegar and pre-cooked for 30mins or 2 tins organic chickpeas
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 carrots
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute the onions for 5-10 minutes add water to ensure they don't stick.
- Add garlic, and ginger and saute until they are soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool completely
- Add coconut milk and spices and onion mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. I use a Nutri-bullet and do a few loads.
- Pour the curry mixture into the slow cooker
- Add the vegetables
- Add the chickpeas and mix well.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker, and turn on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.