Slow Cooker Chicken and Dates
This dish is delicious as well as easy. Simply put all ingredients in the slow cooker and it's done! Not only is it easy, but all the nutrients are maximised in a slow cooker. Enjoy!
- 1 kilo organic chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon Celtic salt
- 2 large red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced or chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted dates chopped
- 1 preserved lemon thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or filtered water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry
- Rub 1 teaspoon of Celtic salt over the chicken thighs. Let sit while you prep the other ingredients.
- Combine paprika, ground ginger, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, allspice, crushed fennel seeds, and nutmeg to small bowl
- Place onion at the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add water.
- Layer the chicken pieces on top of the onions. Sprinkle the spice mix over the chicken. Ensure you use all of the spice mix.
- Add the garlic, dates, raisins, and lemon slices
- Cook on the high setting of the slow cooker for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or 4 to 5 hours on the low setting.
- 30 minutes before serving, stir the ingredients to ensure the lemons olives, dates and raisins get mixed into the liquid.
- The chicken is done when it falls from the bone