Quinoa is a complete protein and it's so rare to find a vegetarian complete protein so this porridge is a great way for vegetarians and vegans to start the day!Just a note to watch out for portion sizes. This recipe makes 4 servings at 228 calories a serving. If you increase the portion sizes you will substantially increase the calories.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 star anise
- 2 whole cloves or 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup Quinoa soaked overnight
- 1 cup milk or 2 cacao butter nibs with 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- Berries or grated apple to serve
- Soak quinoa overnight following the instructions here to remove phytic acid and saponins
- Rinse thoroughly. Simmer water, cinnamon, star anise and cloves in a small saucepan
- Add quinoa and milk. Simmer for 12-15 minutes until liquid is absorbed
- Add honey and stir through.
- Serve with flaxseed meal, yoghurt, grated apple or berries