If you are lactose intolerant nut milks are a great alternative. I don't recommend commerical nut milks since they typically contain a lot of nasties. They are also very expensive for the amount of nuts that they contain (which is often negligible). If you are not lactose interant, I recommend organic pasture-raised milk since it contains a lot of essential vitamins and minterals. However, it is also sometimes nice to mix it up. Making nut milks is really easy!
- 1/3 cup organic nuts if organic is hard to find or expensive, choose chemical-free
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 teaspoon black-strap mollasses or honey if you are vegan black-strap molasses provides an excellent source of iron
- Blend all ingredients in a blender.
- Store in the refrigerator. Will last up to 3-4 days.
- Note: if you prefer a smooth milk, strain the milk prior to storing. However, I prefer it unstrained.