- 1 cup split red lentils
- 300 g carrots chopped
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder or grated fresh
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 stick of kombu not Korean or Chinese
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon whey kefir or apple cider for soaking
- Soak lentils overnight (up to 24 hours) in 3 cups of water and 1 teaspoon whey, kefir or apple cider vinegar.
- Drain water and rinse well.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot.
- Add ginger and turmeric powder and fry gently.
- After 30 seconds add all other ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a moderate to low setting. Allow dhal to cook with the lid on for 40-50 minutes, stirring often.
- Season as needed.