How to Cook Brown Rice
Brown rice is very nutritious. However, it does contain a large amount of phytic acid which inhibits the absorption of critical nutrients such as iron, zinc and calcium. Soaking overnight will reduce phytic acid. See my article on soaking nuts, grains and legumes
- 1 cup organic brown rice
- Filtered water
- 2 tablespoons Whey or milk kefir or apple cider vinegar
- Soak brown rice in 2 cups of warm (not hot) filtered water. Add 2 tablespoons of acid (apple cider vinegar or whey from milk kefir). Soak overnight for 8-12 hours.
- Drain and rinse well
- Boil soaked and rinsed brown rice in 2 cups of filtered water with the cover on.
- Once the pot starts to boil, cook for 30 minutes with the lid partially on for 30 minutes.
- Drain rice in sieve
- Place drained rice back into pot and steam for 5 minutes with the lid on.